Quote:
In sum,
I consider Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar and others to be very much pro-sumer products geared mostly at hobbiests - not that there is anything wrong with that. But if you want to truly use what the pros use - Protools is it.
I'm a proponent of Pro Tools, and I have to disagree with that, Justin. Nuendo is a $1500 native DAW, and it's supposed to be very good on PC (the Mac version I have is early - I never kept up with the updates, so I can't say much about it).

But the other three are all *composition* programs vs. a production program. Pro Tools is not for composition if you use MIDI in an advanced way. As a matter of fact, they make Pro Tools look like a prosumer program in that regard!

I use Pro Tools for mixing and editing, but I use Logic for composing. (I used to use DP as well, but I'm too EXS24ed out to use it now.)

And I'm in the middle of a "whether to upgrade to HD" quandary. Chances are that I'll just keep my MIX system (which will never work on a G5) when I move to a G5. The upgrade is expensive, and the only reason I'd do it is to keep up with the updates. I don't need 192 or better converters.

Tough decision.

I'll answer WWIII next post.