Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130517 - 02/20/09 08:52 PM LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know LASS is still alive and well \:D . First I want to thank all of you for your interest and patience. I’ve been getting lots of enthusiastic emails asking about demos and “when this library will be released” and “how does it sound”... etc...etc. I tried to answer all emails and if any of you want to be on the LASS email list, you can go to http://lascoringstrings.com/contact.html and just send an email saying: “Put me on the list” (or similar). This way I can keep you up-to-date on LASS’s status.

I’m still on target to get LASS released in the second Quarter of 09. Some of you may (or may not) know that I’m a full time composer... and because of existing client obligations, some of my scheduling is out of my hands... but I’m committed to devoting any time I’m not scoring to finishing this library... and I’m close. \:D Unfortunately, (or fortunately... however you want to see it) I have a movie coming up and I’ll have to go underground for about 3 weeks. The good news is, I have a terrific team of Beta Testers (all of whom are great composers in their own right)... and one of them...Colin O’Malley... just happened to write a wonderful composition that really illustrates LASS’s ability to play expressive, melodic, divisi, and lyrical string lines – one of the most difficult things for a string library to achieve.

Here is a teaser:

She was a Fair Lass (by Colin O’Malley)

All the strings on this piece are entirely LASS... mostly using Real Legato patches. With Real Legato, you can play the lines in real-time and achieve legato, portamento and glissando by adjusting velocity at which you play. You have full control of dynamics with the Mod_Wheel. There were no Key Switches in this entire demo. It's important to understand that all LASS Real Legato patches are more like virtual instruments as opposed to "patches". They react to "how" you play... all of the swells and dynamics are controllable in real time. The same applies to the legatos, portamentos anf glissandos.

If you go to HERE, you can see exactly what patches were used in this teaser. Note the use of divisi patches (legato ensembles A,B,C) to create a realistic and balanced expressive sound. Also, because of LASS’s unique Acu-Fade approach to patches (a new approach to cross-fading dynamic layers avoiding the smearing and buildup of the other dynamic layers), you’ll hear all the detail in the sound and an accurate number of players... even as their dynamics are manipulated real-time via the mod-wheel. In essence, the dreaded “cross-fade player-build-up sound” is avoided.

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet (because it was literally developed 3 days ago) is a new type of articulation we’re going to call Lyrical Legato. It’s that elusive sound somewhere between a clean legato and a portamento. (Great... more programming... LOL)

Lastly, this demo was written using the latest “beta” patches... although very good, they are not the final release patches.

Stay tuned for other demos down the road... action, epic and others.

Thanks again for all your kind emails and now... to get back to looping......

Andrew K

Edited by Andrew K (02/20/09 08:52 PM)

#130520 - 02/20/09 11:14 PM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Andrew K]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Andrew, the demo is pretty gorgeous sounding! Hard to imagine how the finals could be much better. Great work! Enjoy your new film project. -DW

#130523 - 02/21/09 12:27 AM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Dan Weiss]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Originally Posted By: Dan Weiss
Andrew, the demo is pretty gorgeous sounding! Hard to imagine how the finals could be much better. Great work! Enjoy your new film project. -DW

Thanks Dan \:\)

It probably won't sound much better sonically, but I'm always tweaking the patches... so they'll probably be more consistent.

#130524 - 02/21/09 12:57 AM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Andrew K]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
Wow Andrew... Very very nice.. Certainly doesnt hurt to be able to play like that as well.

All the best.. and Great success..

Jeff E

#130529 - 02/21/09 11:08 AM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Jeff E]
TLiX Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Andrew kudos... I remember eating lunch with the guys and you talking about your dream.. and now your can HEAR the dream come alive.
great stuff and don't stay underground for too long ;-)
Sam

#130530 - 02/21/09 07:58 PM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: TLiX]
Tim Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Woodland Hills Ca. :eek:
Yeah...at Art's Deli.

From what I saw at NAMM, it looks like LASS fill a void in the current string library offerings.

I can't wait to try it out!

#130549 - 02/23/09 02:42 AM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Andrew K]
JohnH Offline

Loc: west coast
Geeze, that sounds so beautiful.

Great work!

#130551 - 02/23/09 10:02 AM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: JohnH]
Tardo Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Sounds really good.

Oh man this will be really nice to play with a wind controller. I'll have to dust mine off along with my foot controller.

Rich

#130556 - 02/23/09 08:28 PM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Tardo]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
Wow... that sounds great Andrew!

#130573 - 02/25/09 08:15 PM Re: LA Scoring Strings "Sneak Peak" Teaser and Update [Re: Andrew K]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Hey guys... thanks for all the kind words.

Yeah... this project has been a concept in my head for a long time... finally it's coming to fruition.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: