Page 34 of 42 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51374 - 12/15/05 03:24 PM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
These posts are coming too fast and I have to get home.

OK AO, that's more like it. I'll look up your sources later. FYI, I'm pretty hip in regards to the origin of the Bible.

And if I remember, your previous post was in regard to the New Testament, right? The Old and New Testaments are handled differently.

#51375 - 12/15/05 03:51 PM Re: OT: Evolution
GlennR01 Offline
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dorkus:
Hi Glenn. I'm having a hard time telling if your points are directed at me, or at the Christian community as a whole.
My comments are directed to both yourself individually and, yes, the Christian community as a whole (which, incidentally, I am a part of). I am hardly an authority on either the spiritual or secular world, but I think you might have misunderstood my intent. I actually was supporting your individual point of view, while trying to explain the reason why many individuals here (and in real life) resent, question or even abhor the public Christian image today.

Quote:
I entered this conversation in an attempt to shed real light on some issues, to balance out the loudest and more fluent in the group. My agenda has been apolitical - - I wanted to stay focused on what I see to be flaws in mainstream thinking regarding evolution, and present the creationist side in a less wacky way. Perhaps we could understand each other better and gain some respect for each other.
Understood and appreciated. Again, my post served to acknowledge exactly that - we all agree that communication on a message board can fail to take into account the nuance of one-to-one communication.

Quote:
However, it never fails - the conversation somehow turns to "Sure, I respect what you believe, you can believe whatever BS you want, but what about that friggin' extreme right?
Your words, not mine. I don't think your beliefs are bulls*it, nor did I state them to somehow get a jab at you. Unless you are Rove's first cousin, or an ultra-conservative right winger, you shouldn't be offended by my post. If I struck a nerve, that might just mean something...

Quote:
They're manipulating you, and they want to manipulate me." etc, etc. There is a deep rooted (resentment / hatred / irritation / etc) with "the Right." But I guess I should expect this, it is the favorite topic on this forum (I've been lurking here for years).
The deeply routed resentment/irritation was not created in a vacuum, and you know this. The vast majority of people in this country who define themselves as Christians are as fed up with the extreme right as are the right's traditional antagonists, the left. Again, you need to be able to seperate the difference between personal, emotional spirituality and right wing party politics to get my drift. BTW, that you lurked here for years and decided to "come out of the closet" still doesn't mean that you are right or, for that matter, wrong. \:\)

Quote:
I'm not even sure where I sit in the 'middle to extreme right" spectrum. I don't believe that I'm unduly influenced by politicians or TV evangelists. I have beliefs on issues, and many of them are connected to my Christian view of the world. I think that they would have to be discussed one by one. And you know what? I'm really clueless. I'm not sure which issues are the ones that affect or bug you the most.
I consider myself relatively clueless as well - I think you misinterpreted my post as a personal assault, which it is not at all. Nothing you have posted bugs me at all.

Quote:
I hope no one thinks that I'm slamming them for their belief. I'm trying to be transparent in the hopes that others will be too. I recognize that what is gospel to one is silly to another. We all have some unfounded beliefs - and maybe they should be questioned. Really, I'm not offended when people (legitimately) question my faith. If I can't stand up to some questions, then what good is it?
Well put. FWIW, I should tell you that I am currently producing a very well known CCM artist, and I regularly produce both secular (gee I hate that word) and Christian artists - which certainly doesn't make me an authority on anything, but I am willing to share my observations.

#51376 - 12/15/05 04:27 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
 Quote:
Two opposing viewpoints cannot both be right. At least in this universe
That's the fundamentalist Christian view I find so offensive: Christ says the only way is through me, so if you believe in him then you have to believe that all other ways are wrong. Well, that's hopelessly shallow.

Two viewpoints absolutely CAN be right if they're just that: viewpoints! They're orientations, or ways of looking at the same reality everyone else sees. As I've posted way too many times, faith is just that: faith - meaning you *decide* to believe in something beyond what your five senses tell you. You're either raised with a religion or you pick the one that makes the most sense to you. If you were born in Africa you'd believe a whole other set of things, and so on. It's not like you spoke to God on the phone.

You can't possibly "seek the truth" (whatever that means) by accepting an obvious man-made lie as your basic premise.

Christ is the one way *for you.* Even on this board, he's clearly not the way for everybody, and if we're going to hell it's not for not being Christian.

#51377 - 12/15/05 04:28 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

"The next short step" is "it doesn't matter what I do, since I can always atone and everything will be fine again."

#51378 - 12/15/05 04:37 PM Re: OT: Evolution
immprod Offline

Loc: Norway
"I just read recently that scientists and not neccissarly christian ones came up with a new way to date the earth by the earths layer formation, and previously they thought it was millions of years old due to the millions of layers... untill they found a mamouth skeliton that was embedded in what they would have said was tens of thousands of years of layers".

OH MY GOD....You can´t be serious???

(I´ve got a master in geophysics by the way....)

#51379 - 12/15/05 04:38 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Quote:
As far as Tookie, I think that the anti-capital-punishment crowd chose the wrong figure. Despite overwhelming evidence, he maintained his innocence. So he obviously wasn't repentant.
Who fu cking cares whether he maintained his innocence. What kind of a standard is that? He said I did lots of ****, but not that. Maybe he's telling the truth? The point is that it's wrong to put people to death. It's barbaric and doesn't belong in civilized society.

The only difference with Williams is that since he wrote those Pulitzer-nominated books, it was less impersonal when he was executed. He's certainly not a hero, and of course he can't be let out of jail. There's no "right" figure to protest. Capital punishment is wrong every time.

#51380 - 12/15/05 04:42 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Whoever it was is very serious, and he has lots of company in this country!

It's shocking, isn't it.

#51381 - 12/15/05 04:50 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Actually, I just read that the last wooly mammoths became extinct at the end of the last ice age, which was about that long ago.

But there were elephant-family creatures millions of years ago.

#51382 - 12/15/05 05:10 PM Re: OT: Evolution
immprod Offline

Loc: Norway
Well, Im from Norway and I´ve never met anyone here who believe that the earth was formed approx. 10000 years ago. Is this a US phenomena? The bible was edited in year 300-something. It didnt fall from the hand of God one day. The bible is man-made and thats why its not correct. Believe in God, not the bible.....Or better; Try to read some books written by authors that actually know what they are talking/writing about, instead of crappy articles on the internet. Just a thought... \:\)

#51383 - 12/15/05 06:06 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Kecinzer Offline
Founding Member

Loc: MA, USA
Wow, wow, wow - I see you guys are still evolving?!? I believe that Jeremy has met his goal a long time (many replies) ago. Just in case you didn't know \:\)

Immprod ... I always loved Terie Rypdal, as does my friend Krispen http://krispenhartung.com/

Page 34 of 42 < 1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: