Page 23 of 42 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51264 - 11/30/05 06:59 AM Re: OT: Evolution
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
As much as I believe science has the most reasonable explaination of the nature of the "physical" universe, I don't buy into the big bang theory.

#51265 - 11/30/05 07:07 AM Re: OT: Evolution
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
 Quote:
JM + HA = Jack Mack and the Heart Attack. They were playing at the Olympics in Atlanta when the bomb went off.
I was in the village at the time. After the swimming events, we would go to the pool and jump off the diving boards and swim around. Across the street was the chow hall. I had friends in the press building - overlooked the park area. Couldn't get in or out of the village for several hours. Big guys with guns. We were hoping to meet up and catch some tunes but it was not to be that night.

Another book would be 'Quantum' by Jim Al-Khalili.

~ Nick Batzdorf

#51266 - 11/30/05 07:40 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Then how do you explain the background radiation that we can see is left over from it, Jeremy? Every time you turn on a TV with no tuner, some of the snow you see is left over from the Big Bang.

Do you have a better theory, or is it just that you don't like the idea?

#51267 - 11/30/05 11:42 AM Re: OT: Evolution
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
 Quote:
zrocks, I sprained my ankle. Your answer: "9/11." Our government is developing "usable" nuclear weapons against all logic. "9/11." The FCC sucks. "9/11."The religious right is using sanctimony to justify imposing their values on other people and take away their rights. "9/11; and furthmore, you're filled with hatred."
Nick, I sprained my ankle. Your answer: "Bush is responsible" Our government is developing "usable" nuclear weapons against all logic. "Bush is responsible" The FCC sucks. "Bush is responsible" The religious right is using sanctimony to justify imposing their values on other people and take away their rights. "Bush is responsible; and furthmore, you're filled with hatred."

For the record, government topics are a whole other thread. I thought this was creationism vs scienceism.

~ Nick Batzdorf

#51268 - 11/30/05 12:00 PM Re: OT: Evolution
buttrumpet Offline

I believe religion played a huge part in the last election and continues through all levels of politics. Just look at the recent appointments to the Supreme Court. These people were obviously put in place to overturn Roe vs Wade and to lay a conservative foundation for many years to come. If this faction of people was shrinking, how do you account for all of this? There are televangelists building 50,000 seat arenas for the sole purpose of herding followers in and shaking them down for their money. Only professional sports teams had this kind of clout in the past. Do you know how much money it takes to build an arena? If these groups were not growing in numbers how would this be possible?

I personally don't care what religion you ascribe to but I do object to the ridiculous notion of religious whackos proposing to replace my child's science class with religious voodoo, no matter what type of religion it is. I myself was a teacher years ago and I can tell you that fellow teachers in the scientific community are appalled and insulted over the seemingly never-ending assault which threatens their livelihood and their integrity. If you want your own personal religion taught to your child then send them to religious schools.

You completely missed my point concerning religion. I was simply pointing out how religion, of any type, can be sometimes used in a counter-productive manner. To simply enter any religion with blind faith is asking for trouble. I never implied that Christianity was the root of evil. I only pointed to a few circumstances where it was used in a harmful way whether intentional or not.

#51269 - 11/30/05 12:06 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Quote:
Nick, I sprained my ankle. Your answer: "Bush is responsible" Our government is developing "usable" nuclear weapons against all logic. "Bush is responsible" The FCC sucks. "Bush is responsible" The religious right is using sanctimony to justify imposing their values on other people and take away their rights. "Bush is responsible; and furthmore, you're filled with hatred."

For the record, government topics are a whole other thread. I thought this was creationism vs scienceism.
As a matter of fact Bush IS responsible for every one of those problems but my ankle!

But why don't you get what I'm saying if I don't spell it out like Dick and Jane?

You're trying to say that people shouldn't complain about the religious right, since what they're doing pales in comparison to the violence perpetrated by Muslim fundamentalists. My point is that just because what they do is worse, it doesn't make the religious right any better.

Or are you saying that bad is bad whether it's Christian or Muslim or anything else? If so, I agree with that. But what the **** does that have to do with being consumed with hate?

#51270 - 11/30/05 02:53 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Fieryjack Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
These people were obviously put in place to overturn Roe vs Wade and to lay a conservative foundation for many years to come. If this faction of people was shrinking, how do you account for all of this?
I am sure Time or somebody like that has done a survey on religion/Christianity to see how prevalent it is now versus say, the fifties. My guess is still that Christianity is less popular today, based on how many empty churches I see.

I must say, I think it's a stretch to suggest that a "Faction" of people put Supreme Court members in place with the sole intention of overturning Roe Vs. Wade. Frankly, I don't think most people care about Roe Vs. Wade as much as the political gliteratti would have you believe.

#51271 - 11/30/05 03:37 PM Re: OT: Evolution
GlennR01 Offline
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fieryjack:
[QUOTE]Frankly, I don't think most people care about Roe Vs. Wade as much as the political gliteratti would have you believe.
So true. Politics as sports feeds on itself - there are now umpteen national cable "news" channels, all of which are broadcasting 24 hours a day, screaming louder from the fringe to grab our attention. Sadly, the distinctive lines between politics and news media are not blurred - they have simply disappeared. There seems to be far more objectivity now amongst the voting public than amongst the so-called journalists. Hence, Bush's precipitous fall in approval ratings. I think the public is finally wising up and not drinking from the media Kool Aide.

#51272 - 11/30/05 03:38 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

It's not a stretch *at all*, Fiery, in fact it's a shrinkage! Do you know why Bush's personal ****ing lawyer withdrew herself? Because the religious right wanted an anti-abortion right-wing creep and they didn't know she was conserative enough! The fact that she was Bush's personal lawyer and totally unqualified didn't bother them at all.

And do you remember the Million Women March a year ago last Spring? That was huge. Abortion rights are *very* important to a lot of people in this country. It's a highly contentious issue.

#51273 - 11/30/05 04:11 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Fieryjack Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Abortion rights are *very* important to a lot of people in this country. It's a highly contentious issue.
I agree that it is a highly contentious issue; but with all due respect, I don't believe our country considers it the MOST important issue, that's all. And I don't believe a Supreme Court member has been appointed by a faction at all.....

Page 23 of 42 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: