Page 5 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51084 - 11/03/05 08:38 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
If Hopi isn't interested, what are you asking for it, Jeremy?

And did you get a Big Ben? Is that why you're selling it?

#51085 - 11/04/05 02:47 AM Re: OT: Evolution
DP Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Hampton Bays NY USA
"They just didn't have the knowlage we have today."

Yhea, but they could spell :p

#51086 - 11/04/05 04:19 AM Re: OT: Evolution
TheHopiWay Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Washington State
Jeremy,
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought this thread had morphed into a discussion concerning the true meaning of the Word clock of God.
BTW, the oral history of the Hopi tribe extends 40,000 years back in time. so I'm thinking it's probably only white male patriarch figures that were created (most likely in Texas) 6000 years ago.
I'll email you off line about the aardsync II.

Marc

#51087 - 11/04/05 08:47 AM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
I think that most here misunderstand Christians. I'm sure that a lot of it is related to the self-righteous way in which many of them communicate; they can be easily dismissed. Maybe my perspective will be new to you?--

As a Christian, I lean toward an older version of earth; I don't believe that it is inconsistent with the Bible. I'm not alone in this.

When it comes to the origin of life, I believe most people confuse micro and macro evolution - evolution within a species vs. evolving into another species. I have yet to meet another Christian that denies the reality of change within a species. In addition, I have met some that think evolution is the mechanism that God used to bring us man. However, proving microevolution (which really no longer needs to be proved) does not prove macroevolution.

Evolution, as a mechanism for for the origin of life would have to be miraculous. Especially since some of its hingepoint mechanisms are really paradoxical. Consider, for just a couple of examples, the jump from asexual reproduction to sexual reproduction and the dilemma of punctuated equilibrium. Both of these concepts defy common sense - and are hardly ever discussed - even among evolutionists. How come?

Now, if you are willing to accept the miraculous event that is evolution, why would you not consider that there's a force behind it? And maybe that force did reaveal Itself?

Maybe this was the point of the original poster?

#51088 - 11/04/05 09:04 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Most Christians aren't like what I described at all, just the right-wing evangelical ones who are holding too much sway over our country. And I for one said right at the beginning that evolution has nothing to do with the magic of it all; it's a totally amoral process. Common sense would say that we wouldn't be here in the first place, so it means nothing to say that you could predict any of this (paradoxes about having to be here to predict it aside).

As to the famous "no inter-species evolution" argument, well, it's groundless. The odds that we didn't diverge from apes (about 7 million years ago) are extremely small, considering how similar our genetics are.

Again, I see the force (or forces) you're talking about as an integral part of it all, not something outside it or driving it.

#51089 - 11/04/05 09:27 AM Re: OT: Evolution
ynghermes Offline
Founding Member

It was all explained by quantim phisicks about 100,000 years ago - didn't you get the memo?

Everything you want/expect to se will be revealed by looking at it.

#51090 - 11/04/05 10:22 AM Re: OT: Evolution
TheHopiWay Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Washington State
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
......The odds that we didn't diverge from apes (about 7 million years ago) are extremely small, considering how similar our genetics are.
I hope to prove that apes evolved from us.
Until one builds a fast food chain or automatic weapon I'll remain convinced they're above us on the ladder.

#51091 - 11/04/05 12:17 PM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
Your insistence that it is an amoral process is what makes it hard to swallow. It is WAY too incredible.

As far as man from ape, I could maybe buy that - if you could get me to ape. I'll give you amino acids in a primordial soup. I'll give you single celled organisms. But multi-celled organisms? Complex multi-celled organisms? The evolution or organs? All lower life forms are the way to go as far as reproduction is concerned.

Its been said that the beauty of evolution (often referred to as science) is that it is changeable - it'll go with the flow of our latest discoveries. Isn't that just another way of saying we don't know?

Christianity actually does the same thing - well maybe not for fundamentalists (and I'm an ex-fundamentalist). Believe it or not, we view the world in a completely different way than we did just 30 years ago. Much of it is due to scientific discovery.

#51092 - 11/04/05 01:35 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
George Carlin...

Quote:
Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you.
Also watch this video...

http://www.fox.com/tradingspouses/video.htm

#51093 - 11/04/05 01:51 PM Re: OT: Evolution
TLiX Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Justin:
George Carlin...

Quote:
Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you.
Also watch this video...

http://www.fox.com/tradingspouses/video.htm
D@mn I knew someone was going to bring up this video thing...
see and that is one psyco that represents the exact opposite of what Christianity is all about. And the 10 commandments are not expected of Christians anymore and not at all a part of going to heaven or hell. The whole thing is very simple. We all have a choice to believe and know Jesus Christ who is the 'force' behind the creation of the earth and universe. If you choose to have that relationship, you spend the after life with him, and if you don't choose it then after life is spent not with him. Its just like if I had a party and invited everyone on this board to come, some would choose yes and come and others wouldn't. It has nothing to do with following any rules and punishment and all that. I guess how I feel about this quote is that yes some religions have convinced people of this but not true Christianity. And as far as psyco spouse goes, that does not look like ANY Christians I know and I spend every day relating to Christians and know hundereds of them.
Justin I'm even a bit disapointed that you went there.. \:\(
What I and others have been posting for Christianity has nothing to do with your response here.

Page 5 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: