Page 25 of 29 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111905 - 08/31/07 07:25 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
boring.. the mix isn't that great. the arrangement is virtually a collection of what the others have already contributed. the organ, the chorus on the guitar, the harmonies etc.. very creative! I guess someone has learned something from this.

I think the vocals are way too over top in the mix.

BTW, arranging is NOT mixing and it never will no matter how many times you call it a mix.

Edited by Audiophile (08/31/07 07:26 AM)

#111908 - 08/31/07 09:35 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Audiophile]
Kecinzer Offline
Founding Member

Loc: MA, USA
Love your chops, Brent!

#111909 - 08/31/07 10:35 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Audiophile]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Audiophile
boring.. the mix isn't that great. the arrangement is virtually a collection of what the others have already contributed. the organ, the chorus on the guitar, the harmonies etc.. very creative! I guess someone has learned something from this.

BTW, arranging is NOT mixing and it never will no matter how many times you call it a mix.

Do you ever have anything positive to say man? I mean really, do you? Can you give Justin a break for one second? He is trying to get interaction going between people in a positive way and all the guy is getting is crap from people who for some reason have nothing good to say about anything. If you want to critique, that is fine but just crapping on what someone does makes those who lurk here even more reticent to comment because they fear getting flammed or pulled into the the fray. I wish the lurklers and the quiet ones would comment and interact. The sad fact is, they just go away and never come back like most people that looking for a place to hang.

#111910 - 08/31/07 10:44 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Kecinzer]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Brent,

Great work! Beautifully played and implemented ideas.

Speaking subjectively I think that there's maybe a few too many bells and whistles now. I find myself distracted from the "song" by all the new parts and I think that some of the original intimacy of the piece is now gone. There's so many great ideas you came up with! I'd just pare it down a bit from here and let it breathe a little.

Just my taste. Really well done!

#111911 - 08/31/07 12:18 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for the nice compliments gents. Dan... very good observation. Hearing some of your work on MySpace, an observation that also comes from someone that knows their stuff. I'd agree. Man. ... if only this coulda been a from the ground up project... or had a little more time \:\)
This was never a matter of out-doing anyone. It was a fun puzzle to try to work out. Then a pleasure to do a little playing, etc., for a group of people that count. A rare opportunity here these days.
But ... curious to know what processing and/or plugins you used on Justin's vocal track Dan? I couldn't get it close to how nice you have it sounding.

#111912 - 08/31/07 04:56 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
 Originally Posted By: Jeff E
 Originally Posted By: Audiophile

Do you ever have anything positive to say man? I mean really, do you? Can you give Justin a break for one second? He is trying to get interaction going between people in a positive way and all the guy is getting is crap from people who for some reason have nothing good to say about anything. If you want to critique, that is fine but just crapping on what someone does makes those who lurk here even more reticent to comment because they fear getting flammed or pulled into the the fray. I wish the lurklers and the quiet ones would comment and interact. The sad fact is, they just go away and never come back like most people that looking for a place to hang.

I have plenty of good to say when the is any good to say the least the mix is average 'good' ie not gaudauful. I do not care about mediocre mixes, make me really think something creative has gone. It does nothing for me. I curious Jeff, you really think the vocals aren't too loud?

#111913 - 08/31/07 05:32 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Audiophile]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Thanks for the compliment, Brent, and for checking out my page. I used the URS Neve EQ and the UAD 1176 compressor. Also, a little light chorusing from the UAD Roland Dimension D. A little reverb came from Wizooverb W2 and I can't quite remember what the delay was.

#111914 - 08/31/07 06:34 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Thats cool Dan... I miss my UAD stuff. Are you finding the URS Neve EQ pretty musical? I am using the Massenburg EQ right now and I just cant seem to make it shine.

You know what would be cool... Is to get different vocals and learn what you and others would do to get them smooth or develope a sound. Im not talking tuning but rather with EQ and reverb and delay and such. I have not used Chorusing on a vocal in forever.

Cheers....

#111915 - 08/31/07 06:39 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Audiophile wrote... I curious Jeff, you really think the vocals aren't too loud?

You know.. I don't really think so but that could be because i am working on a project that has the vocal all the way pegged forward and I have been listening to the new Colby Caillet music. It is right on the brink of distortion. I like her writing and some of the stuff the producer did because it is so very basic, but its always right on the edge and the vocal is forward. Krazy kids.. I guess its better than not hearing the vocal at all on her songs.

j

#111917 - 08/31/07 08:41 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Nice 2nd mix Brent!!!

I just strolled in here again to see what's new and you put out another mix/production. Nice one!!!

Keep up the good work.

And the rest of you too... keep up the good work. And for the complainers... An ostrich is a bird.

AK

Page 25 of 29 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: