Page 10 of 42 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51134 - 11/08/05 03:36 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Well, I don't believe in a being that created the universe. To me it makes more sense that it just happened; you can't even say that there was a time when the potential existed, because time began with the Big Bang and there was no time before that!

Why everything is the way it is despite the staggering odds against that is always going to be a mystery. God snapping his fingers is one explanation, but to me that seems too simplistic.

Jeremy, what I meant is that I don't believe the rituals of religion - not praying, meditating, and doing good deeds, but wearing silly round hats, putting your lights on a timer on Friday night, eating wafers, etc. - no god who's concerned with the universe is going to care whether I do any of that. He's more likely to be concerned with what I contribute to the world and with the connections I make with the people around me, I think.

#51135 - 11/08/05 05:24 PM Re: OT: Evolution
TLiX Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Well at least Kansas sees it my way...
see here

an 'intelegent' choice :p

#51136 - 11/08/05 05:59 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

"Intelegent" is wryte.

Amazing how dumb people are.

Yet we depend on them for growing our food, so I guess we can't ignore them.

#51137 - 11/08/05 06:43 PM Re: OT: Evolution
TLiX Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
"Intelegent" is wryte.
wouldn't it be 'right'?
or is there a pun I'm missing?

#51138 - 11/08/05 06:46 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

It's the spelling: intelligent.

And I'm sorry, I shouldn't insult people. This is just very frustrating. Notice that the dummies - oops, sorry - who voted for this crap are all Republican.

#51139 - 11/08/05 07:35 PM Re: OT: Evolution
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
“The 6-4 vote was a victory for "intelligent design" advocates who helped draft the standards. Intelligent design holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power”.

This is exactly what I’m talking about, this is the essence of the debate. Another words, there is an energy that exists in the universe that puts into motion all this that happens. Stars being born (a reminder.. We have pictures?) And super Novas. I understand and appreciate the yearning for a connection beyond the material world. I remember praying to a model human skull as a kid, my mom walking by seeing me and laughing.

But even as a kid, I knew I needed a connection with the source. The energy and power of the universe, and one day it came into my life, or I was introduced to it. Been using it ever since, and after over 35 years, continues to amaze me in how it changes me as a person. This is a real spiritual energy. And as long as it’s something that is positive, can’t see how it would offend anyone, even a creator of the universe.

#51140 - 11/08/05 08:13 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Intelligent design is creationism in wolf's clothing. Saying that because the universe is so complex it must have been created by a higher power is on the surface a religious argument - which itself is inappropriate in public school - but mainly a power grab by right-wing turds.

That's what this is really all about. You might think that this is just opening kids' minds to other possibilities, but what it's really doing is letting these horrible people frame a very, very unintelligent debate on their own moronic terms.

#51141 - 11/09/05 05:04 AM Re: OT: Evolution
atomusic Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT.
Keep religion out of public schools. This is insane we are going back to the dark ages. Believe what you want but don't teach it to my kids. I f you want to teach your kids religion teach them at home. Government and religion do not belong together.....................Hello use your brains !! Next you be burning books, forcing children to believe in your God.

#51142 - 11/09/05 05:44 AM Re: OT: Evolution
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
 Quote:
To me it makes more sense that it just happened; you can't even say that there was a time when the potential existed, because time began with the Big Bang and there was no time before that!
Does this make sense?

Just as you think that Intelligent design is inappropriate, "it just happened" is of little learning value. Why is that a better option?

While I agree with you, fundamentalist religious teachings have no place in public school, you seem to be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. ID may be a foot in the door for creationist but I fear the closed mindedness of those who thoughtlessly reject ID hamper progress.

~ Nick Batzdorf

#51143 - 11/09/05 06:07 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
ID is the bath water. There's no scientific facts that support it. It is not a theory, it's a belief. Now, I don't see any reason not to teach kids about the different belief systems in the world so long as it's presented in that way. Just don't call it a theory. That's what sunday school is for.

Page 10 of 42 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: