Page 38 of 42 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51414 - 12/19/05 04:23 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
 Quote:
I will agree we can have many varieties based on breeding different varieties but a strawberry was always a strawberry. Just like an ape was always an ape and a human was always a human.
This is the old "there's no inter-species evolution" argument, and it's not based on facts but on the wish to believe certain mythology. Doesn't it seem a little farfetched if you really think about it? Species just appear by the hand of God, and then they begin to evolve?

A geneticist will laugh at you for advancing that idea.

#51415 - 12/19/05 04:59 PM Re: OT: Evolution
buttrumpet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mixandburn:
By the way;

How do you do that quote thing all you guys do? I could use a little direction on this as evidently I havn't evolved far enough to have figured this out yet on my own. :p
Click on the quotation marks above the post.

#51416 - 12/19/05 05:25 PM Re: OT: Evolution
mixandburn Offline

Loc: Northern Calif.
Far fetched relative to what Nick? Our current understanding of things? If you or I could go back in time as little as 150 years and share with society what is common knowledge now in regard to our advances in knowledge and more importantly our understanding of how to apply this knowledge, we would have been the laughing stalk of the scientific community then. A man on the moon? Rovers on Mars? Deep space probes splashing down on a distant planets moon? The possibility of cloning? A hybrid, environmentally friendly automobile that can transport people safely and comfortably over hundreds of miles? A computer that does what? Nonsense! Not possible! Lunatic! A brick short of a full load. We would have been outcasts of society for promoting those concepts without proof to back it up. Yet, here we are today.
All the ingredients were already here on the earth to do all those things. We just didn't know or understand the applications. Knowledge and understanding are like that. You don't get it, until you get it. I'm sure in the next 150 years there will be advancments that would astound and confound us today.
Funny how the simple solution to some of todays advancements were the impossible hurdles of yesterdays progress. I'll say again what I posted early on in this thread. I don't think we really have a clue how big, how complex or how miraculous this whole thing is. Mans established religions aside and all the preconceived idea's that accompany that paradigm, I am convinced there is an encredibly advanced genious designer behind all of this for reasons we may not fully comprehend yet. Shouldn't the scientific community with their passion for discovering the truth about things maintain an open mind toward the possibility of this yet scientifically unsubstantiated concept? Isn't that by definition what a scientist does?

#51417 - 12/19/05 08:06 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

And there will be things 150 years from now that we can't imagine today - assuming we don't blow ourselves up first.

But does that mean Pythagorus was wrong? Or Einstein?

Or Darwin?

Of course not. And of course there are lots of things we don't have a clue about. That doesn't mean that any of the infinite number of false propositions is true.

#51418 - 12/19/05 08:19 PM Re: OT: Evolution
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
A man on the moon? Rovers on Mars? Deep space probes splashing down on a distant planets moon? The possibility of cloning? A hybrid, environmentally friendly automobile that can transport people safely and comfortably over hundreds of miles? A computer that does "Nonsense! Not possible! Lunatic! A brick short of a full load. We would have been outcasts of society for promoting those concepts without proof to back it up. Yet, here we are today.
All the ingredients were already here on the earth to do all those things. We just didn't know or understand the applications. (Knowledge and understanding are like that). You don't get it, until you get it. I'm sure in the next 150 years there will be advancments that would astound and confound us today.

This just so totally explains the bible doesn't it? And it's concept of creationism. It's what they were able to concieve back then, of what and who we are and how we got here. I'd say in 150 years from now there well be fewer and fewer practicing christians, as we evole as a species, we'll grow bwyong the myth and fairytale culture that has had control of our society for hundreds of years, and mankind as a whole for thousands.

#51419 - 12/20/05 04:28 AM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
I had a friend in high school named Bwyong.

#51420 - 12/20/05 06:34 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Audiorigami Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Darwin only came up with the idea. That was over a hundred years ago. Since then, his ideas have been refined and no counter-evidence has been seen except the God-of-the-gaps.

mixandburn, I apologize for what you call a smear campaign, but if you look a couple of pages back you'll see the Wedge Document, written by the Discovery Institute, and they basically invented the concept of ID in order to legitimize creationism and get Christianity into places it doesn't belong. Again, I apologize if my tone indicated that Christianity was at fault. It's not, only anyone who claims ID is science. It is not.

Also, here's an on-topic update:

ID Loses in Pennsylvania Court: Cannot Be Taught In Biology Class

Quote:
The Judge In the Case Writes:
The proper application of both the endorsement and Lemon tests to the facts of this case makes it abundantly clear that the Board’s ID Policy violates the Establishment Clause. In making this determination, we have addressed the seminal question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not, and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents.
Both Defendants and many of the leading proponents of ID make a bedrock assumption which is utterly false. Their presupposition is that evolutionary theory is antithetical to a belief in the existence of a supreme being and to religion in general. Repeatedly in this trial, Plaintiffs’ scientific experts testified that the theory of evolution represents good science, is overwhelmingly accepted by the scientific community, and that it in no way conflicts with, nor does it deny, the existence of a divine creator.
To be sure, Darwin’s theory of evolution is imperfect. However, the fact that a scientific theory cannot yet render an explanation on every point should not be used as a pretext to thrust an untestable alternative hypothesis grounded in religion into the science classroom or to misrepresent well-established scientific propositions.
The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy. It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy.
With that said, we do not question that many of the leading advocates of ID have bona fide and deeply held beliefs which drive their scholarly endeavors. Nor do we controvert that ID should continue to be studied, debated, and discussed. As stated, our conclusion today is that it is unconstitutional to teach ID as an alternative to evolution in a public school science classroom.
Those who disagree with our holding will likely mark it as the product of an activist judge. If so, they will have erred as this is manifestly not an activist Court. Rather, this case came to us as the result of the activism of an ill-informed faction on a school board, aided by a national public interest law firm eager to find a constitutional test case on ID, who in combination drove the Board to adopt an imprudent and ultimately unconstitutional policy. The breathtaking inanity of the Board’s decision is evident when considered against the factual backdrop which
has now been fully revealed through this trial. The students, parents, and teachers of the Dover Area School District deserved better than to be dragged into this legal
maelstrom, with its resulting utter waste of monetary and personal resources.
To preserve the separation of church and state mandated by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, and Art. I, § 3 of the Pennsylvania Constitution, we will enter an order permanently enjoining Defendants from maintaining the ID Policy in any school within the Dover Area School District, from requiring teachers to denigrate or disparage the scientific theory of evolution, and from requiring teachers to refer to a religious, alternative theory known as ID. We will also issue a declaratory judgment that Plaintiffs’ rights under the Constitutions of the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have been violated by Defendants’ actions.
Defendants’ actions in violation of Plaintiffs’ civil rights as guaranteed to them by the Constitution of the United States and 42 U.S.C. § 1983 subject Defendants to liability with respect to injunctive and declaratory relief, but also for nominal damages and the reasonable value of Plaintiffs’ attorneys’ services and costs incurred in vindicating Plaintiffs’ constitutional rights.

#51421 - 12/20/05 07:30 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
I told myself I was going to stay out of this debate, but I have one thing to say.

Being here in Hawaii, I am surrounded by absolute, non-debatable evidence that these islands have been forming here very slowly for millions of years. You can see layers and layers of lava built up over millions of years everywhere you look. You can go to the Big Island and WATCH the process in action, for pete's sake.

Even a child can see the process with their own eyes and understand. How anybody can actually believe that the Earth is just a few thousand years old while faced with such overwhelming evidence that it is not is so out of whack, it makes me question the very sanity of anyone who blindly believes in ID or creationism.

No amount of "faith" is strong enough to make me ignore what I can see with my own 2 eyes.

#51422 - 12/20/05 08:38 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

I didn't answer this:

Quote:
If they did not grow up and turn red, be sweet and juicy from the git go, birds never would have eaten them and the word strawberry would not be in our vocabulary because they wouldn't exist following that line of reasoning. Strawberries couldn't have evolved in that way.
But they *did* evolve in that way. There are always going to be genetic variations - they occur on their own, and a biologist can tell you how many times per thousand. From what I've read, there's just one gene that controls color.

This is the problem right here: people who discount evolution don't know anything about it. No offense - I mean that as a general statement.

Mark, people will go to extremes to convince themselves that what they're seeing is what they need to believe. There was an article in the NY Times a couple of months ago about two groups of people visiting the Grand Canyon. One was looking at the wonder of how it was formed over millions of years. The other was seeing how it was formed recently. Both were looking at the same rocks!

But in all fairness, I know of only one person on this site who believes that nonsense. The line is that it's been proven over and over "by non-Christian scientists" (that's always part of it) that the earth is 6000 years old, dating to the time of Adam.

Someone pointed out that they figured this out by geneology - i.e. using the science of genetics! - to determine when Adam was around. \:\)

#51423 - 12/20/05 11:20 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
There was an article in the NY Times a couple of months ago about two groups of people visiting the Grand Canyon.
Nick, that's not a valid comparitive example. The erosion that created the Grand Canyon is an extremely slow process that is not visible to the naked eye - thus is open to interpretation.

Here, you see the new land being formed right in front of your eyes. You can watch the lava snaking over older, cooled lava from previous eruptions. You look at it, then look up at the side of the mountain and see the very same processes created the entire 10,000' mountain rising above you. And the 20,000' more of mountain below you as it extends down to the ocean floor. And the other 18 islands and atolls that make up the Hawaiian Archipelago.

It's happening now, today, right in front of you. Only one interpretation is possible - this has been going on here for millions of years. No speculation or illogical leaps of faith are required - only eyesight and common sense.

Page 38 of 42 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: