Page 13 of 42 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51164 - 11/11/05 12:02 PM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
Thanks for the info. You're like an encyclopedic service that I can call on, and then not have to do any work myself. OK, now for my initial observations:

1. The beauty of ID is that it doesn't have to make predictions or produce evidence! \:\) I'm mostly kidding, but I acknowledge the aspect of it that includes built-in answers for creation. This does not mean that a creationist viewpoint cannot be forever tweaked by new discoveries; it should in fact be supported by them. It also does not mean that they are not true.

As far as Miller's experiment - I really thought that maybe there was new work on this. There are countless resources that enumerate the flaws of it - are there not newer experiments that attempt to do prove the same thing with more accurate conditions? If I recall, I think he created an environment that was highly unlikely for early earth.

But maybe the original cells came from space? That could be - but of course that begs the question " Where did they come from?" Still, I was unaware of that.

2. Hoo Boy, that was some fun readin'! However, that was by far the one that causes me to consider what I once thought was absolutely ludicrous. I'm considering. The concept is still way incredible.

3. This one has nothing to do with evolution. We need a mechanism for this change. The author wrote this in a manner that implies we evolve with a purpose and a direction (that would be divine). We can't forget that the mechanism of evolution is random genetic mutation, and we've already established that that's an amoral process. \:\)

Let me know where I'm missing the boat.

#51165 - 11/11/05 12:21 PM Re: OT: Evolution
GlennR01 Offline
Founding Member

Evolution, Shmevolution. I believe in Beechwood Aging...

#51166 - 11/11/05 06:54 PM Re: OT: Evolution
buttrumpet Offline

Oxford's Richard Dawkins is a great reference ("The Ancestor's Tale"). Interesting enough, Einstein, Carl Sagan and Dawkins were all atheists. No offense to anyone in particular but these individuals posessed much greater minds than any of the pseudo-scientists on this board. Don't fear the science. Your God won't hate you for understanding the truth.

#51167 - 11/11/05 08:04 PM Re: OT: Evolution
rider Offline
Veteran Member

DIDDO SCIENCE IS AFTER THE FACT

#51168 - 11/11/05 08:05 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Here's another way of looking at the unanswerable question, dorkus - or at least the one I say is unanswerable and most religious people think they've answered once and for all:

Does evolution have a goal, i.e. is man or is life the goal?

If so, then you'd expect life to be a natural state development all over the universe, even if it's at various stages. Chances are small that there aren't other planets somewhere in some galaxies with mild enough conditions for life.

#51169 - 11/11/05 08:10 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Why would you say that, Rider?

Some of science is after the fact and some of it predicts things. Einstein predicted gravitational lenses, for example, and they weren't actually observed for a long time after that. We haven't seen a black hole yet (or the light ring around its event horizon), but we know they almost certainly exist and what they're like.

I think the fact that those people were atheists is kind of irrelevant, by the way. Pythagorus, Mozart, and Michelangelo weren't, and they weren't half-wits.

#51170 - 11/11/05 08:35 PM Re: OT: Evolution
rider Offline
Veteran Member

The system is crude. the evolution of man is slow. space is the fact that we have not evolved yet.evolution is behind man and the burial is out of our hands. We have little time to hand the baton off. we can not keep track of ourselves. the great people are runners who don't understand their mission. but they understand time is not on their side so the crazy people push the expeirience of what they know but they don't know why. they can only initiate and know that they're different. The hand down is slow and what we know has to be recovered. This is our condition.

#51171 - 11/12/05 06:42 PM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
I’m not sure why that’s the unanswerable question. Maybe I’m not getting your point. Isn’t the unanswerable question – “Why?”

Evolution without intervention is goal-less. More life would mean more miracles, and I believe that there might be life of all different kinds somewhere out there. Unfortunately, there’s a good chance we may never find it.

It seems to me, and this might be too philisophical, but if evolution is the natural order, and if it doesn’t have divine intervention, then there must be some universal law that science is missing so far. Life seems like it can’t be held back – at least in our world. It seems to explode everywhere. And it shouldn’t.

Could this be true everywhere and in all different, even hostile environments? Could we just think our mild conditions are ideal for life, because that’s the only life we see?

There must be something more at work here.

#51172 - 11/12/05 08:31 PM Re: OT: Evolution
rider Offline
Veteran Member

yes, but the answer to your question is why not? evolution has a goal but it's after the fact. Did you look in the mirror before your born and say "here i go again "or do you say," I can't remeber **** before 5". Mabey one does but I think it"s more like parents prepared. As far as miricles look at the plauge. look at Fatima. Look at the catholic book of miracles. It's actually far and between. Half barely made less than 600 years ago. There was a great deliverence back than, where a peasant became a land owner and owner became worker, the playing field was leveled. This is probably an a miracle but would be classified as a reason to revolt; which they did. check out Carl Young: A man and his symbols. This guy did not act the way he wrote.

#51173 - 11/12/05 10:50 PM Re: OT: Evolution
mixandburn Offline

Loc: Northern Calif.
OK, enough of this.

You guys want to know the real answer to all this confusion, I wasn't going to but I'll tell you first hand what I know. Truth is, the universe is teaming with life. Thousands upon thousands of species co-exist together in perfect harmony with one another. The problem is and was, mankind. So somewhere in our far distant past, it was determined by the high councel of elders that we had too much propensity toward violence, destroying our environment and basically were guilty of being crude self absorbed warring brutes with no apparent hope for assimilation into the universal way. So, rather than condeming us to a complete anniliation of the human race, it was determined our poor species would be banished to a far distant planet in a very far away galaxy called earth. Guy's, the naked truth is; that this unfortunatly, is actually a prison planet we live on and the reason there are so many ufo sightings without any apparent contact; is because they are in fact,the gaurdians that for millinioms have patrolled this planet. Ever making sure we do not break too far beyond our bonds lest we become a threat to the celestial community. If we do,without further warning it will be the end of everything. Our planet and everything on it will be utterly destroyed in an instant. However,there are some who may find redemption if they confess their short comings and accept the higher order of life the rest of the universe observes and enjoys. Only then can they be transformed in their minds and become one with our distant brothers and sisters and someday be redeemed once again from this cursed place of isolation. The end......... ;\)
A parody by Mixandburn

Page 13 of 42 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: