Page 17 of 42 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51204 - 11/21/05 07:25 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
How dare you accuse me of hating Christians! How dare you.

But I guess I should take a deep breath and realize that your naivety only proves my point.

#51205 - 11/21/05 09:28 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Fieryjack Offline

Loc: New York
I agree with Nick that it's a little scary how "religion" is so often associated with "republican/conservative". Not surprising, but still scary.

I really don't like to see religion in the political arena, period, as long as we have the right to worship as we choose and not offend anyone else in so doing...

#51206 - 11/21/05 10:11 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Exactly. My sole objection is to the attempt to have other peoples' archaic values imposed on me. Otherwise what the hell do I care what someone believes? Knock yourself out if you want to believe the Earth is 6000 years old. I have no respect for the belief itself, but I respect anyone's right to believe whatever they want.

I'm not making up that comment about going to church or synagogue and voting for Bush, by the way. For example (this article is now in the LA Times archives and I'm not going to pay to access it, but the abstract makes the point):

Bush Made Inroads Among Jewish Voters, Study Shows
Those who attended weekly religious services were split between the president and Kerry.
[HOME EDITION]

Los Angeles Times - Los Angeles, Calif.
Author: Ronald Brownstein
Date: Apr 12, 2005
Start Page: A.19
Section: Main News; Part A; National Desk
Text Word Count: 560

Abstract (Document Summary)

The initial Edison/Mitofsky National Election Pool exit poll had found that Jews preferred the Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. John F. Kerry of Massachusetts, over [Bush] by 74% to 25%. The Los Angeles Times exit poll had found an almost identical 74% to 26% split among Jews.

By comparison, young Jewish women preferred Kerry by a ratio of more than 7 to 1, the survey found. Kerry's best group was Jewish women over 60, who backed him over Bush 10 to 1, the study calculated.

According to [Mark Mellman]'s surveys, Jews who attended religious services weekly split their votes evenly between Bush and Kerry, while Kerry amassed big leads among those who attended less often.

#51207 - 11/21/05 03:58 PM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
My naivety proves what point? I don't know you except for what you say and how you say it. Archaic values? By whose definition? And do I have to keep repeating myself? - - I, and many others like me, don't believe the world is 6,000 years old.

Hating Christians? Hmmm that's a little strong... More like they are unworthy of your intellect.

It goes two ways here - I have to work hard to not put you in a box and take what you say at face value... but you keep coming up with the same predictable stuff. In addition, you are at ease summing up those of us that believe in God. Maybe it's my turn to play offended...

Fieryjack - I'm on the other side of the fence, and I'm in agreement with you.

#51208 - 11/21/05 04:28 PM Re: OT: Evolution
anaconda Offline

Loc: Southern Left Coast
What's wrong with hating Christians? It's a made-up religion. Hardly organic. I am an admirer and follower of the real Christ. I give no attention or money to any Church. I can't stand pious, superficial religions zealots. Screw you all! Besides, this thread is about evolution, not the pros and cons of religion. It just doesn't matter. Being fair, honest, truthful(when necessary)and kind is enough. Who gives a rat's ass where we come from or where we're going. It's the time between that counts.

#51209 - 11/21/05 04:55 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

I agree with you, Anaconda - it doesn't matter how we got here. As I said, I'd still get up and do the same things tomorrow if it turned out that we're all the product of a booger from Mars.

dorkus, my answers my be predictable, yet you seem to misunderstand them. Nobody said all Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old. And nobody said that all religion is politically motivated. But it's surely being abused by a lot of right-wing scumbags to get votes.

So are the shyte value debates about gay marriage and intelligent design. That is all a big political smokescreen, whether or not you see it. And when I say you're naive, that's what I'm talking about: you think that I hate Christians because I point out what's equally obvious to a lot of Christians! There are many levels of sophistication to all religions, and the people who go for that bull**** are not sophisticated.

And you and zrocks really need to learn how to have a discussion without calling me a bigot. If that's how I come off to you, perhaps you need to think about why you'd rather just throw that out than deal with what I'm saying.

#51210 - 11/21/05 04:59 PM Re: OT: Evolution
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
I don't hate Christians, people are people reguardless of what they believe. I only bring up the bible because of creationism, which is at odds with science, yet we see science working for us everyday and take advantage of it.

#51211 - 11/21/05 05:31 PM Re: OT: Evolution
ynghermes Offline
Founding Member

I like that this thred is so long and all, and that it got some views out of some normally quiet posters. It is interesting to see the post desolve into arguments and sway away for the topic - I know I'm guilty of that, sometimes, but no one is asking why it is an issue. We all have free will and the right to think anyway we want, without reprocussions.

Is there a possibility that these two schools of thought will ever come together? It does in quantum but that does not allow for us to be petty about who's right or wrong and who we serve by alligening up to one side or the other.

Every culture has a story of the beginning and all of those stories hint to a time before. But how can we rectyfy 6,000 and 60,000,000 years old?

#51212 - 11/21/05 05:50 PM Re: OT: Evolution
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
 Quote:
My sole objection is to the attempt to have other peoples' archaic values imposed on me.
It is probably just me but somehow you come across as having more outrage against fundamentalists Christians vs fundamentalists Muslims.

In a poll conducted by the local pollsters, people who pleasured themselves with their left hand preferred Kerry 7 to 1 while right handed Jewish women of Ukarainan descent only preferred Kerry 3 to 1. How could he lose?

~ Nick Batzdorf

#51213 - 11/21/05 06:40 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

It's just shocking how you're totally incapable of grasping the least bit of subtlety, such as a wry comment with some truth in it that's obviously not intended to be taken literally.

And your implication that I'm more outraged by the Christian right than I am by terrorism is just moronic.

Page 17 of 42 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: