Page 18 of 42 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51214 - 11/21/05 06:49 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Oh, I also see that an important part of that article is missing from the abstract. He also said that it was the same with Christians: the more you go to church, the more likely you are to have voted for Bush.

To spell this out for zrocks: yes, there are also a lot of regular church-goers who voted for Kerry. But is it really necessary to explain that before I can make what's obviously a slightly tongue-in-cheek comment?

#51215 - 11/21/05 09:30 PM Re: OT: Evolution
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Sorry Nick, I don't believe I used the word terrorism in my post. This fact, of course, disqualifies my comment from being "moronic".

If I might make another observation. I am under the impression that you feel that only you are granted the power to be non literal.

By the way, I do not in any way think you are a bigot. In fact I kind of admire your ability to think and express sound ideas.

One day you will see that I am absolutely correct in my thinking that an open mind does not hate. If it does, then it will limit free thought.

So, can I use the DA7 as a control surface for protools?

~ Nick Batzdorf

#51216 - 11/21/05 11:16 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by ynghermes:

Is there a possibility that these two schools of thought will ever come together?

Not unless we either find the missing link or God gets back to parting seas and human sacrifices.

#51217 - 11/22/05 04:42 AM Re: OT: Evolution
dorkus Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA 95124
Nick- nobody said all Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old? There's been two posts since you made that claim that refer to this. I wonder why most people here still want to categorize all Christians as fundamentalist TV evangelists? Creationism is not at odds with science; no one seems to want to hear it... let alone combat it with anything other than preconceived notions and insults.

#51218 - 11/22/05 06:22 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

I'm not consumed by hate, I'm angry at what's going on in this country, zrocks. And no, you didn't mention terrorism, but you said I think Islamic fundamentalism is the same as Christian fundamentalism. Somehow it ****es me off to be accused of putting beheadings, collapsing stone walls on gays, etc. on equal footing with anything that goes on in this country.

dorkus, I've said over and over again that I don't equate all Christianity with TV evangelism. If you read any of my posts in this thread - something I wouldn't expect anyone to do - you'll see me saying over and over that there are many levels of sophistication about religion. I also said that a lot of Christian people agree with me - for example my mom, who despite her German Jewish ancestry was confirmed Church of England as a child.

Western society has a Judeo-Christian heritage, and it's a little older and more profound than most American-style TV evangelism.

#51219 - 11/22/05 06:35 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

And why would I believe that all Christians think the earth is 6000 years old?! Most people in this country are Christian, and very few of them believe that.

#51220 - 11/22/05 06:40 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Audiorigami Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
...Aaaaanyway.

So I watched 2001:A Space Oddysey again last night. Sheeit, I forgot what a mind**** the first (and last) ten minutes are. I'm smack in the middle of a Kubrick Netflix-fest.

It goes Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Full Metal Jacket.

If you watch those three movies in order, it's quite a look at the latter half of the 20th century. Elegant, frightening, mad.

Disclaimer: the above has nothing to do with evolution, except for the prehistoric apes in the beginning of 2001, which actually made me think--the use of tools was such a huge step in human history. I'd have to say that fire was the more important discovery, although discovery may be a misleading term. I prefer "taming." Yes, the taming of fire. That was pretty big. Then I guess language deserves a nod. Yup, tools, fire, language. What a combo.

So, where does The Shining fit into the filmfest? Hmm...WELP sorry to derail folks, go on talking about...well...whatever it was.

#51221 - 11/22/05 02:48 PM Re: OT: Evolution
buttrumpet Offline

Would you have more respect for Christian fundamentalism if they kidnapped innocent people and cut off their heads while video taping the act?

Absent of videotape technology, doesn't this sound strikingly similar to techniques employed by those benevolent Christians during the Spanish Inquisition?

#51222 - 11/22/05 06:28 PM Re: OT: Evolution
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
 Quote:
Absent of videotape technology, doesn't this sound strikingly similar to techniques employed by those benevolent Christians during the Spanish Inquisition?
One would hope that a certain amount of evolution has taken place since those barbaric days.

~ Nick Batzdorf

#51223 - 11/22/05 07:13 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Since the 15th century? In most First World countries, in some ways, yes.

But we still have wars, there's still crime, lots of countries routinely violate human rights exactly like they did...I think the world is pretty much the same except for isolated pockets.

And I'm fortunate to live in one of them.

Page 18 of 42 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: