Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51424 - 12/20/05 12:07 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
 Quote:
not visible to the naked eye - thus is open to interpretation
Not unless you believe that potassium-argon dating is invalid!

But I take your point about actually being able to see it.

#51425 - 12/20/05 07:24 PM Re: OT: Evolution
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
mY gOD, WHAT HAVE i DONE....EEERRRKKK,this thread has turned into a M O N S T E R!!!! i'm sure i'll be going straight to hell for this one, right Tlix? How dare I question God, and the Bible, and creationism!!!! I must be killed, that's all there is to it.

#51426 - 12/20/05 09:54 PM Re: OT: Evolution
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
No you dont get out of it that easy Jeremy... You have to read it every day like the rest of us.
Besides look at it this way... If there is no God and you die, No big deal, you are worm food and you have passed from this life into nothingness and you are but a memory in the hearts of those who loved you. And hopefully you have helped the evolutionary process at least somewhat n your time here. Well, I guess there are those among us who actually roll the process back a little, but I'm sure that is not true of you. and Hell... well it was just a figment of someones sick imagination in their efforts to control people. So, eat, drink and be Merry...

After All it is Christmas time.

Jeff

#51427 - 12/21/05 04:40 AM Re: OT: Evolution
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
"well it was just a figment of someones sick imagination in their efforts to control people. So, eat, drink and be Merry..."
Jeff, there are other world views, religions, other than christianity. I'd look to the east. To Buddhism. It has a much deeper explaination of who we are, where we came from and where we are going.

Of course there are thousands of different forms of Buddhism throughout the world, but the common thread is life is eternal, this is just but one life time, we create our own destiny thru our actions (karma). Your life continues on beyond this world.

So your right I don't believe in a christian god that created the world in 6 days. Or the whole fairy tale of a son of god who died for our sins.
Believe it or not, there is spirtuality beyond christinaty.

#51428 - 12/21/05 05:23 AM Re: OT: Evolution
GlennR01 Offline
Founding Member

re'lig'ion (r?-l?j2Ășn) n. Abbr. rel., relig.
1.a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. People killing people over who has the best imaginary friend.

#51429 - 12/21/05 05:49 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Fieryjack Offline

Loc: New York
Jeremy,

If all our Christian beliefs are simply fairy tales, folklore or traditions, can they still have any value in this world?

You've pointed out all the negatives associated with religion (i.e. the centuries of wars, the repressed, the bigotry, whatever; please don't go thru again since you have done so ad nauseum), yet you never really concede that religion or Christianity has played a valuable role in our society. Has it?

Is this a fairy tale that should just be wiped from the planet so we can start over? Should Christmas be scrapped and we all celebrate the Winter Solstice?

If this is really a piece of concocted fiction, does it have any value whatsoever in our families and communities?

#51430 - 12/21/05 06:29 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

I think the answer is both. Not the tongue-in-cheek part, but we owe a lot of good and bad to religion.

#51431 - 12/21/05 06:29 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Audiorigami Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Works of fiction have a very special place in human life.

Look at Aesop, Shakespeare, Virgil, or Dr. Seuss.

They teach and inspire us. Although grounded in history, the Bible is also inspirational and contains many great lessons.

I wouldn't be the person I am without having read Kurt Vonnegut, for example. ;\)

#51432 - 12/21/05 07:53 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Jeremy, maybe I'm misunderstanding you but the one thing that hasn't felt right since the beginning of this thread is the notion that Christianity is a fairy tale but Eastern religion is truth. It's just another belief system, your belief system. If you believe that a good frog comes back as a horse and we get reborn based on our deeds now and then, that's great. Buddhism may be a far less restrictive or less fear-based than Christianity but it's certainly not any less or more of a fairy tale than any other religion. It's just the one you subscribe to.

#51433 - 12/21/05 08:12 AM Re: OT: Evolution
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Nope, my religion and yours can't both be right, and since I know I'm right therefore you must be wrong.

Page 39 of 42 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: