Page 9 of 29 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111266 - 07/30/07 04:24 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Morten]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Thanks Morten. Your mix has some issues in my opinion. My comments are:

-too much compressor on everything, what'd you use?
-kick drum sounds lost, snare sounds phasey
-bass sounds boomy, not tight
-doubling effect on vocal could be effective but maybe in smaller doses rather than the whole track
- acoustic guitar sounds too boomy and phasey
- piano sits kinda weird and low in the mix
- the compressor works on the lead guitar
- interesting how you cut the other instruments in the outro to solo acoustic guitar - this could be cool

That's it for my comments, thanks for playing!

#111269 - 07/30/07 05:02 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Morten Offline

Loc: Denmark
heh I was experimenting with Distortion(Sans amp) on the drums, which made the kick drop down in frequency and made the Snare alittle grainy, its all very experimantal, was really just playing with the tracks, comp 1176 with a gain reduction of around 3-6db on the drums.
Bass same story at drums. Tho i duplicated the track and put Sans amp on the duplicated track and set it 6db lower then the org. track.
Acoustic gtr just 1176 comp and a high end boost with eq Mcdsp P6, and chorus(TL everyphase)
Piano lol I agree

Edited by Morten (07/30/07 05:02 PM)

#111270 - 07/30/07 05:08 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Yeah Morton, what's up with that? Listen to my mix. That should help you out.

Ok, I worked on it some more. I changed the drums and vocals a bit.

Attachments
FFH.mp3 (117 downloads)

Edited by jeremy hesford (07/30/07 05:12 PM)

#111271 - 07/30/07 05:22 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Funny Jeremy but please don't upload any more joke files as it wastes space on the server. It's also not that funny.

#111273 - 07/30/07 06:05 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Morten]
Dark Star Balla Offline

Loc: Chicago Bizurbz
Good mix Morten. The drums are still weak to me but again I'm use to heavy huge and loud drums.

#111274 - 07/30/07 06:30 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dark Star Balla]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
justin,
can you split the drums into multitracks? dry would be nice.

#111282 - 07/30/07 10:46 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Audiophile]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Originally Posted By: Audiophile
justin,
can you split the drums into multitracks? dry would be nice.

Sorry, no, the drums are from Drumcore and are from loops.

#111285 - 07/30/07 11:14 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Sorry Justin, just having some fun. I well do a "real" mix in the next few days. I just basicly did the worst possible EQ on every track as posible, to capture that "weak beer piss" sound,and I did! But was very supprised at how good it sounded thru my computer speakers compared to the studio, and it was funny. Huummm, must be something here.

Maybe this was not just an accident but there is some hidden meaning in all this, some mixing karma. Nick I know your learking out there, not sayin much.

This is really between me and you. You've been laughing about all my comments over the years about some miniscule little thing that to me made the mix sound better. But maybe I am delousional.

So if you have the balls to post a mix, I well. Most likely you don't. Hats off to you guys who have. It's not easy excepting critisism, especially after putting your all into it.

But like someone said it's an exersize in becomeing better at this. I think me and Nick need to meet in the ol western dirt street, for a draw. You have the balls Nick???

#111287 - 07/31/07 02:56 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dark Star Balla]
Morten Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Dark Star Balla
Good mix Morten. The drums are still weak to me but again I'm use to heavy huge and loud drums.

Yeah the drums are intended that way actually I wanted to go against the "nice and bright" to try and make it alittle more dirty/folkish, a bit lowfi really.

#111293 - 07/31/07 10:18 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Morten]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Thanks Jeremy - I still don't really get the joke but if you and Nick are having a good laugh I guess I'm fine with it. I think it's a great idea to have a contest like this where people do their best "real" mix. If this were Top Chef however I'd be telling you to "pack your knives and go!"

As for Nick, he seems to be conspicuously silent on this thread for some reason. Nick what say you?

Page 9 of 29 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: