Page 20 of 29 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111698 - 08/22/07 03:07 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Ok we haven't had any more entries for a while. Brent emailed me that he's preparing something new for next week. I'm inclined to set an end-date for the contest fairly soon. The following people have said they would upload but have not yet:

Nick Batzdorf
Jeremy Hesford
mofca
TLiX

If you guys still plan on participating, post a reply here. Otherwise I will set a date for the contest to end and we can all vote.

#111701 - 08/22/07 04:52 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Justin,

I have a feeling that the "contest" idea turned a lot of people off who may have participated. I was on the fence for a while about it myself. I really like the exchange of ideas but I don't think the idea that a winner can be declared is a realistic one. Everyone will vote his or her taste. It's so subjective. Though I appreciate your comments you can see that most of us do not want to be critical of each other. And lastly, I agree with the others that you should not have "bolded" your personal favorite mixes. It implies that there's a concensus where there certainly is not one. If we do this again, let's make it more show and tell rather than a road race.

#111702 - 08/22/07 05:05 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Thanks Dan but I disagree. Everyone has a contribution to make and I think we're all mature enough not to discredit any effort, no matter how small. But some people do outstanding work that should be recognized in some form. My intention in bolding names is simply to highlight the ones that stand out. A little healthy competition never hurt anyone. I think what you're saying is that an apple isn't better from an orange, they're both good. I certainly don't want people to rant on others for the purpose of making them feel bad. Constructive criticism is different though and that's really why we're all here - to learn from eachother. The rest, is to recognize outstanding work of our peers. I see nothing wrong with it.

#111703 - 08/22/07 06:37 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
I still think my mix holds it's own. No other mix can compare to it, i'm just that good. I'm not trying to make you guys feel, bad, well maybe just alittle bit

#111704 - 08/22/07 07:40 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

>>>>My intention in bolding names is simply to highlight the ones that stand out. <<<<<<

Yes, I understand. They are standouts to you, and other mixes might work better for somebody else. So there will be a vote but you've given certain mixes an edge. By endorsing them it appears that there has already been a vote of some kind when it's just your opinion. Don't you see that? Look, I really don't care much about winning or losing. I'm just trying to point out why there may not have been all that much participation. Lot's of guys said they were going to do a mix and then didn't. Something turned them off about this thing.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but nobody did it, except you? Why not? So fine, you like competition, I can understand that. Then just keep it fair is all.

Jeremy, love that far-off thing you' ve cultivated!

#111708 - 08/22/07 10:04 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

This is an open forum. I encourage everyone to comment about their own and other people's mixes - good or bad comments. I don't know how I can be more fair. But yes, I highlighted the mixes that stood out because it was obvious that time and careful listening went into each. If you feel differently, please go back and point out any other mixes that you feel should be highlighted. I also bolded these because I realize not everyone coming to the site is going to listen to every mix, so I wanted to at least make it easy for people to hear the really creative ones and hopefully get turned on to the contest as a whole.

Look when we do the voting maybe I'll try and set up a couple of different poll questions like best editing job, best autotuning, best use of eq and compression etc. It'll be tricky because I don't think people will necessarily be able to do such indepth judging. It's really not the point anyway. All we want to do is here is recognize one individual for their mix and offer congratulation from their fellow peers. It's not about better or worse, it's about encouragement.

#111709 - 08/22/07 10:36 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Ok, eveybody's but my mix sucks.

#111710 - 08/22/07 11:29 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

I'm not getting my point across. Most likely everybody who submitted spent time and listened extensively. The mixes you put in bold as the most creative are so by your opinion. And you're right, many will see the bold and not listen to anything else. The more I think on it the more that bugs, so I'm out of the game. No hard feelings.

Edited by Dan Weiss (08/22/07 11:34 PM)

#111711 - 08/23/07 12:39 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Dan, do you really know what this is about? An exersize of ego, or excorsism of the ego. This is the true test of an artist, and we are artists, artists of sound.

To me, if you can overcome your ego, you truly are an artist, an artist of life. No matter what kind of critism you get, you can take that in and digest it, without feeling threatened. It's to expand your life, ability, as a human being.

We are all on a journey, and hangin out together here, on this forum. After all we have been thru to get to this point, the point where we are at now, was no easy feat. A lot of set backs, dissapointments, frustration, and just wanting to throw in the towel, (don't forget to bring a towel! btw).

If your talking about me, dude I'm just kidding. Listen to my mix, like Sscannon said, it's sounds like beer piss, and how wrong he is!!!! It not only sounds like beer piss, it's tastes like it. Have you just accidently drank some of your own piss? I have, and believe me, the taste describes my mix to a tee.

BTW, your own urine, fresh, is actually healthy to drink, and good for you!!! That's why my mix wins, hands down. You guys have no choise but to grovel at my feet and beg for my forgivness.

#111712 - 08/23/07 12:44 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
EWF Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
Justin,

I agree with Dan. I didn't do this for the "competition" aspect of it. I did this for fun and to learn something. But to just highlight certain mixes because YOU think they are better than the others just doesn't seem quite right to me, especially if there is supposed to be a vote afterward. I think it sort of taints the whole competition aspect of it. Don't get me wrong, I think the guys that did the highlighted mixes did a great job, but it's like a guy that's sponsoring a competition making it clear that he thinks certain ones are better before anyone has even voted. You said, "It's not about better or worse, it's about encouragement." Well if that's the case then why did you highlight the ones you think are better? I think Dan's point is if "it's about encouragement", the fact that you're already giving out awards could have the opposite effect and discourage some who were thinking about submitting something but ultimately decided not to because it seems that the results are a foregone conclusion. Let me be clear that I don't care about "winning" this competition. It's just that if you want more submissions (and I think we all do), it might be better if the person that started the competition isn't handing out the prizes before all the submissions are in.

Page 20 of 29 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: