Page 18 of 29 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111501 - 08/06/07 11:14 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
BTW, do you know where flipping the bird came from? You know, the middle finger in my avaitor. Yeah that's me man. For all the world to see. Not angry at anybody, just saying a basic "fuck you" to whoever.

Anyhoo it was during a war between the British and French, not sure when, eairly 1700's or something? The french developed a new bow and arrow that was the high tech weapon of the day. It was better at killing english soldiers than other weapons.

So when they captured French soldiers, they would cut off their middle finger, the one used to draw back the bow. So in battle, they use to flip the British the bird saying basicly, "fuck you",
isn't that interesting.

#111502 - 08/06/07 11:30 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Loc: LA, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: jeremy hesford
BTW, do you know where flipping the bird came from? You know, the middle finger in my avaitor. Yeah that's me man. For all the world to see. Not angry at anybody, just saying a basic "fuck you" to whoever.

Anyhoo it was during a war between the British and French, not sure when, eairly 1700's or something? The french developed a new bow and arrow that was the high tech weapon of the day. It was better at killing english soldiers than other weapons.

So when they captured French soldiers, they would cut off their middle finger, the one used to draw back the bow. So in battle, they use to flip the British the bird saying basicly, "fuck you",
isn't that interesting.

That's an urban legend

Here's the link:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.asp

#111508 - 08/07/07 11:13 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Andrew K]
Joe Lepore Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minnesota
18 pages, and strangely, mostly on the same topic .. .THAT has to be a record.

#111517 - 08/07/07 09:24 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Joe Lepore]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Only 6 pages on my computer.

#111520 - 08/08/07 01:48 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
I totally agree Dan, hats off to you guys, they all sound good to me in their own ways. Funny , still even knowing this, the louder mix jumps out and gives the impresson of sounding better. Isn't that just fucked up?

Edited by jeremy hesford (08/08/07 02:03 AM)

#111522 - 08/08/07 10:16 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Thanks Dan - My comments are:

-vocal timing adjustments - seems slow to me can you describe what you did?
-organ and synth parts - cool! a bit surreal, I like it
-leslie rotating speaker/tremelo effect on piano - nice!
-overall sounds clean and balanced - nice creativity!

Please elaborate on your approach and choices. Also what DAW/other gear/software did you use? Nice job.

#111523 - 08/08/07 10:24 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
Very very nice Dan. Like the piano treatment as well as the new counter point items.
Mix is surperb I think. What I'm having trouble with is the offset vocal. It would surely work like this. But without a re-sing to change the timing a bit, it always seems to either be behind or pushing time in the wrong spots.
Nice mix and certanily gets the idea across though!

#111525 - 08/08/07 10:53 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Brent]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Thanks, guys.

Funny, I didn't touch the vocal timing. I guess the tracks somehow didn't line up at the start and I just got used to hearing it that way. I thought it was just a quirky vocal,which I liked. When I get back to town maybe I'll sort that out.

I'll elaborate more a little later. Got to run now.

#111527 - 08/09/07 01:01 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
EWF Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
Here's a new mix. After Justin's latest comments I decided to coax a little more volume out of it. I was trying to achieve increased volume while maintaining the basic sonic signature of the original. I was pretty happy with the overall sound of my first mix and didn't want to get into an overcompressed sound. Hopefully I have achieved that with this one.

Attachments
Far From Home (EWF Mix2).mp3 (329 downloads)

Edited by EWF (08/09/07 01:16 AM)

#111529 - 08/09/07 10:08 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: EWF]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Dan - Nice job on Mix2 - my comments

-nice improvement over your first mix, vocals sound in time now
-I like all the things I mentioned from the first mix, the organ adds a hip/cool flavor to the song reminiscent of the counting crows, the reversed guitar effects are cool too. Mixed in the background so not distracting but add nice "color" to the song
-thanks for explaining your gear and choices - very cool setup
-I like the reverb and eq on the vocal, seems to add a nice softness and fullness that's pleasing to listen to

EWF - my comments are:
- this mix is very bright especially on the snap of the snare and the crispness on the cymbals - not necessarily a bad thing, I'm going to listen to this on a few different systems to see how it fairs. The added clarity on hi-hats does re-enforce the groove in a way not presented so far in the mixes I've heard. Also it highlights the acoustic guitar in the mix in a way not heard so far. The added hi-end separates the parts and defines the parts well.
-nice contribution overall!

Page 18 of 29 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: