Page 24 of 29 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111777 - 08/25/07 03:06 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Joe Lepore Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minnesota
Don't you think there comes a point where the whole integrity of the music business in general is going to get lost? How many more milli vanilli, ashlee's (although she really CAN sing), etc. is going to take before everyone just assumes that everyone is just fake? It used to be about real talent ... it's not anymore.

#111778 - 08/25/07 09:57 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Joe Lepore]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
Just depends how ya use the tools. If you're a composer/arranger of music, it's all these {some say bad} tools that make it an awesome time to be alive. The exact same argument was made over 30 years ago about multi-track tape machines. Then it was the Musician's Union contemplating banning the Mellotron.
Then MIDI putting drummers/others out of work... on and on.
The music biz is pretty much in a shambles and since there's so many diversions these days, there's not as many good young players coming up thru the ranks.
It's not just the "magic tools."

#111779 - 08/25/07 10:08 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New York
 Originally Posted By: Justin
Oh no, The Beatles had no obstacles at all. Not like bible-thumping parents who were outraged at the long hair and wild beats and lyrics. If any group proved music could change the world it was The Beatles. Now go program your cell phone and play some video games

"Obstacles" are differnet than "competition," Justin.

The fact is, the Beatles had far less competition for their primary audience's time and attention that any act does today.

That's at least as significant a reason why we won't ever have an act with the gravity of the Beatles again, as becuase no one can ever write songs like they did or produce records like George Martin did. The Beatles were phenominal, to be sure, but they were mortals.

And I honestly don't think music "changes the world" in any significant way. It affects individual and small collective experiences/views - and those can, ideally, aggregate into some cultural influence but, "change the world"?

That's a bit of an overstatement.

#111782 - 08/25/07 07:15 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Joe Lepore]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Joe Lepore
Don't you think there comes a point where the whole integrity of the music business in general is going to get lost? How many more milli vanilli, ashlee's (although she really CAN sing), etc. is going to take before everyone just assumes that everyone is just fake? It used to be about real talent ... it's not anymore.

I hope it does come to a point soon. You may have a great point here that will bring in several other discussions. - To your point that everyone is perceived to be fake...
Maybe that is why there is no passion behind protest songs. Maybe that is why there is no lasting passion behind "save the _______" musicians. People are jus assuming it is all part of the machine.

J

#111898 - 08/30/07 08:39 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
Welp.... just couldn't resist.

Attachments
far from home 2.mp3 (1150 downloads)

#111899 - 08/30/07 08:57 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Brent]
Joe Lepore Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minnesota
ok .. that mix rocks. Sadly, it's probably representative of what's going on in the business these days. Someone walks in with the original files posted, walks out with this mix and bombs like hell when they have to do it live.

I really do like all the additions though \:\)

#111900 - 08/30/07 09:31 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Joe Lepore]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Very cool Brent.. Gotta Love it... Great feel and nice job taking it to the next level. I really like how you gave the chorus some distinction and made the bridge a real event. Now the Chorus ties to the next verse flows.

Joe, You know man, its not sad, its very cool. Who gives a rip about the biz, this is about 2 artists making something. Who knows if they would have ever been able to do it apart. Once this song got under my skin I could hear these changes. Makes me want to listen to it more and more. Sometimes as a producer this is our job for a client.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff E (08/30/07 09:39 PM)

#111901 - 08/30/07 10:42 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Outstanding job Brent. Nicely done.

#111902 - 08/30/07 11:19 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
blargh you guys still beating this dead horse?

#111904 - 08/30/07 11:56 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Audiophile]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Actually no.. no dead horses here. Just enjoying what someone has done creatively - when, at the last I checked this is what it was all about.

Page 24 of 29 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: