Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111713 - 08/23/07 12:47 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: EWF]
EWF Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
Jeremy,

I'm voting for your mix. I believe yours should be highlighted.

Edited by EWF (08/23/07 12:47 AM)

#111715 - 08/23/07 01:48 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: EWF]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
EWF - Go back and listen to the mixes submitted so far and see if you disagree that Brent and Jeff E. are leading the pack overall. I wouldn't have bolded them unless I felt they really stood out. And besides, I haven't given out awards. If this was a car race there'd be leaders right? I can appreciate you and Dan have both submitted two mixes and feel free to submit more if you want. Actually Brent is about to submit another mix. So I don't think people are discouraged because I pick a couple of leaders. Please disagree with me if you like, but I think you should point out why another mix is better or, if not better, what particular aspect was introduced that deserves merit.

Also btw, I think mofca, TLiX and Jeremy are all capable of winning this thing. Nick I'm not sure about because I've never heard any of his work. I do understand these folks are time-challenged and this might not be worth it to them. Err well 'cept for Jeremy and Nick who threw down the gauntlet to begin with. I figure if they're not going to submit mixes to the challenge then a dual at 20 paces should suffice.

#111717 - 08/23/07 07:02 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
EWF, thanks for trying, but there's no way to make Justin see how creepy the bold thing is. I've deleted my mixes. Good luck to those who stay in.

Jeremy, I so know you've been kidding, right along. No, I've never "accidently" drank my own urine, but I'd be interested in hearing the circumstance that led you to that defining moment. Maybe over a beer.

#111722 - 08/23/07 11:02 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dan Weiss]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

For the record, I do listen to what you guys are saying but I also respectfully disagree on this one issue. I try hard to be fair to everyone but in a competition there will be winners or else it's not a competition. And yes, I'm administering the contest so I feel justified in making the call on this one.

Dan you are of course, free to do as you please. I think dropping out just because your name wasn't bolded is just plain silly but participation is entirely voluntary. No winner has been declared yet and if you stick with it, you'll have a chance to vote on your favorites - you can even vote for yourself if you want. And why not? We're all friends here.

#111726 - 08/23/07 12:33 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
I mentioned this earlier in this post. You think YOU are the authority and that's what doesn't sit right Mr Justin Cowell. It's coming about like more of an ego trip for yourself. I don't care about being the 'BEST' infact i know i'm not. I think Jeremy's first instict was dean on; i should have seen it coming.

For example, my mix is based on my mainly engineering live shows. Maybe it sounds so 'loud and mastered' because that's what is expected of me to do everytime i setup a band, sometimes with only 15-20minutes to get it done.

I 'polished' bands for over 8 years and decided it wasn't going to do anything for my career 'fixing' bands' recording. Infact, now i'm of the philosophy of fixing the band in it's entirety. For example, I will MAKE the drummer tune his drums and play it ontime. I will autotune the vocals and then tell the singer to SING IT THIS WAY! i will never use a pitch corrected track. I will not time align the drums. It's a recipe for failure. The bands end up thanking me in the end even tough i put the through the ringer.

This competition was supposed to be a 'show and tell' not, who's better, and the so called 'prize' isn't really an issue. I won already cause i do what i love. I had a shreddy solo and a small choir lined up to overdub some parts but now i think it's not worth it.

#111727 - 08/23/07 12:58 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Audiophile]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Originally Posted By: Audiophile
I won already cause i do what i love.

Perfectly stated! So you should accept this contest in the spirit which it is intended and not be intimidated because I bolded a couple of people's names. You may not care about being "the best" but you should care about trying to do your best work and continually learning. It's true for all of us, regardless of experience level.

Look guys, instead of wasting time and energy getting pissy about bolded names, why not comment on the actual work being presented? What do you like? What don't you like? (not about me, about eachother's mixes!) The debate about cutting and pasting and autotuning is a good one. Bands/vocalists should practice to be the best they can be. But if you can make a mix sound better, I think you should do it, period. If that means autotuning or time aligning, so be it, so long as it makes the mix sound better. Great mixes all have one universal truth - you know it when you hear it.

#111728 - 08/23/07 01:33 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Well what happened was, you see, I drink a lot of water everyday, like close to a gallon, distilled water. I was in the studio on a phone call and couldn't get off the phone, so I took a huge leek into my empty water bottle. I drink so much water that it comes out clear.

The next day I was doing some mixing and took a big gulp, forgetting that it was actually my urine. I thought to myself, self, hummm, that tastes alittle off somehow.

Then realized what it was. I didn't get sick, or anything. Then was watching "Survivor Man" on TV, he was talking about how healthy your own urine actually is, a lot of minerals and stuff. So I've been drinking my own urine ever sinse.

#111729 - 08/23/07 01:49 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Jeremy you have become Zumbido and Rider wrapped into one.

#111741 - 08/23/07 05:10 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Originally Posted By: Justin
For the record,

Dan you are of course, free to do as you please. I think dropping out just because your name wasn't bolded is just plain silly

Whoa there Sparky! I did not drop out because my name was not bolded! I did so because you're calling this a competition and have provided an unfair advantage to some. There's nothing else to say on the matter except that when 3 or 4 of us are telling you that something smells a little funny, there just might be something to it.

#111742 - 08/23/07 05:12 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Originally Posted By: jeremy hesford
So I've been drinking my own urine ever sinse.

That's a very touching story.

Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: